I'm Jess Martin. I bring web products to market.
I'm re-imagining real estate at First.
Building a product?
I work with businesses to design and build web and mobile products.
I'm busy with my own startup at the moment, but I know lots of great people. Contact me at jessmartin at gmail dot com if you're looking for someone.
A collection of projects I've worked on.
- Enroll - A platform for managing in-person classes, workshops, and courses.
- Ranger - Partnered with Shay Frendt to build a heroku-based monitoring service. We got acquired (press @ TC).
- CoolButtons - Nifty, iOS style glossy buttons for iOS.
- Taskpaper TextMate Bundle - Use TextMate to manage your Taskpaper files, complete with keyboard shortcuts and text highlighting.
- Language Popularity - Simple language popularity tracker based on usage and discussion on a few different sites.
- Office Hours for Startups - Meeting with local entrepreneurs to help them grow their business.
- Procedural House Generation
Talks I've given in various venues.
- Product Management: Philosophy & Practices, delivered at CloudFactory, January 2013.
- Practices for Personal Productivity, delivered at CloudFactory, January 2013.
- Being Smart with Debt: Tactical Tools for Technical Debt, delivered at CloudFactory, December 2012.
- Tale of a Rewrite: Lessons Learned Rewriting Ranger, delivered at CloudFactory, December 2012.
- Learn to Speak Interface: Conversations Between Developers and Designers, delivered at RailsConf 2010, July 2010.
- On Giving, delivered at Relevance, November 2011.
- 3 Tips to Make Your Site Feel Better, lightning talk at DevNation Austin, May 2010.
- 3 Questions of a Product Champion, delivered at DevNation Durham, February 2010.
- CSS and HTML: The One True Way, delivered at DevNation Boulder, October 2009.
- Cloud Talk: A RunCodeRun Case Study, delivered at DevNation Boston, August 2009.
- Getting Girls With Musical Magic and Ruby, delivered with Chad Humphries at Developer Day Durham, March 2009.
- Procedural House Generation: A method for dynamically generating floor plans, delivered at Interactive 3D Graphics and Games, March 2006.
A collection of writings across various subjects.
- Why You Should Use Trello For Damn Near Everything. No, seriously.
- Generating graphical content using grammars and graphs, Graduate Thesis, UNC-Chapel Hill.
Elsewhere on the web
I post code on github.
I write on medium.
I occasionally tweet.